Dog's Days of Summer
|Dog's Days of Summer|
|Update schedule||Sundays (series ended)|
|Launch date||May 4th, 2007|
|End Date||August 6th, 2007|
Dog's Days of Summer was an adult, interactive webcomic by Blotch and the sequel to First Time for Everything which featured Diego and Bayshore on their first summer together, approximately one year before Dog's Days of Summer.
Dog's Days of Summer won the 2008 Ursa Major Award for Best Anthropomorphic Other Literary Work.
The main character was a dingo named Diego. Other characters in the comic included a red kangaroo named Jack, a zorse (horse-zebra hybrid) called The Brumby, Bayshore the otter, the tiger Raj and a female black cat named Zeb, among others.
The comic was set on the fictional Bendigo Beach in Australia. The premise of the comic was Diego's day to day life as he and his friends try to woo the tourists as well as deal with Diego's ex from last summer.
The summary on the back of the graphic novel describes the story as:
"Diego the dingo spends the better part of his days in the company of his local friends, trolling the popular Bendigo Beach for tourists and one-night-stands. However, with the near limitless possibilities before him and the sudden reappearance of his ex-boyfriend, Diego finds himself struggling to make up his mind and sort through his conflicting feelings. Is he happy to remain a footloose beach bum with a voracious sexual appetite, or can he throw away his lifestyle and reputation for an old flame?"
The comic initially began as a webcomic. Every Sunday an installment of Dog's Days of Summer was posted on the DogsDays LiveJournal, along with a multiple choice poll that influenced the next installment of the story. Voting ended each Wednesday.
Now that voting week to week on the comic has ended, the LiveJournal is used for updates on the comics publication and Dog's Days related art produced by Blotch.
The Dog's Days of Summer was successfully released at AnthroCon 2008 (June 27th) and sold out of all 300 printed copies the first day of sale. A reprint was issued by Sofawolf Press and the initial online release of the comic was delayed several weeks until the new books were in-stock (July 2008).
The Dog's Days camp shirt
On 2008 April 8 it was announced that a Dog's Days Hawaiian-style shirt was being produced with Sofawolf Press and would be available for pre-order starting April 15. Sofawolf said they would print only 200 shirts for the first run. 75 shirts were available via pre-order and they sold out in “1 hour and 20 minutes” and the other 125 shirts would be available to be bought at Anthrocon 2008. Any shirts not sold at Anthrocon 2008 would be sold via Sofawolf website starting July 7, 2008.
- Main article: List of characters in Dog's Days of Summer
- Diego is a local dingo currently living in Bendigo Beach. Known for his fame of being one of the most promiscuous studs on the beach, Diego's reputation is what he relies on for 'tourist hunting season' on Bendigo beach.
- Bayshore is a young American river otter. It's his second visit to Bendigo beach on his college summer vacations. He met Diego about one year ago, when Bayshore was on a trip covering New Zealand and Australia.
- Jack is a red kangaroo currently living with Diego and 'The Brumby'. Diego's life-long friend, they met when he was neighbors with Diego during school years.
- 'The Brumby' is a horse-zebra hybrid currently living with Diego and Jack. He is mostly known for hunting girls in the American vacations and the creator of most of the rumors that haunt Diego, which in much like, make up Diego's fame on the beach.
- Rajiv, or Raj as most know him, is an Indochinese tiger from Malaysia. He is currently a college student in Australia, working on Bendigo beach to pay off his tuition.
- Dog's Days Publication Announcement. Retrieved 2007 December 22.
- Dog's Days Livejournal Announcement "Round Two"
- Dog's Days Shirt Competition!. 2008 April 8 post by Blotch to Dog's Days of Summer LiveJournal community.
- Dog's Days Camp Shirt in The Sofawolf Press Catalog. Retrieved 2008 April 18.
- Dog's Days of Summer - Official Website: you can read the first 33 pages of the comic here. (Archived from 2012.)
- Dog's Days of Summer: the LiveJournal where the comic was originally hosted and voting took place. Now used for contests, news and related art.
- Dog's Days of Summer (the first 33 pages of the comic) on VCL
- Dog's Days of Summer at Sofawolf Press
- Dogs Days of Summer Diego at Firefox Background Themes
|This stub about a comic could be .|
Anthrolations · Best in Show · Dog's Days of Summer · Game of Kings · Heat · HistoriMorphs · Hot Dish · New Fables · Nordguard · Why Coyotes Howl