A character (Greek, kharaktêr) can be, depending of its use in the furry fandom:
- One's own fursona: a character assumed by a person as their persona or identity.
- In roleplay, as a dedicated self playing personal furry, to be themselves no matter where they go (i.e. fursuiting).
- Personal furry characters that are often depicted in media, either in graphic art, part of a story, as a plush, sculpture, etc.
These uses are not mutually exclusive; a character can be primarily used for one of the above, or have multiple usages. Indeed, many furry characters are fursona, roleplaying characters, and subjects of furry art at the same time.
Characters can also be categorized by their origin:
- An existing character from an established, normally mainstream, fictional universe, sometimes called canon characters. Examples include Sonic the Hedgehog, Simba from The Lion King, etc.
- Original characters (OC) - A character not from any official media sources, created by anyone, which can be:
- Author-based, not associated with any product, with borrowed art styles from some works.
- Fan-based - created by furry fans of the universe of any work, to fit in with the fictional universe and/or characters of that particular story. Generally found in fan fiction, but can also be a fursona or roleplay character.
In this sense, original characters are the opposite of canon characters.
|This stub about a term could be .|