Category talk:Controversial people
From WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia.
The presence of this category could spark some unwanted drama or flame wars. Tread with caution.--Kendricks Redtail 09:16, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
- More damaging than that, as how it's worded: "Controversial people,"... it seems to imply de facto culpability about the person on the entry: i.e. Desiree Lee, she has been accused of not being real; categorizing her as a "Controversial (person)" could lead people to believe that it means that she is indeed guilty (non-real.)
- The "Controversy" sections are not popular with some people to begin with,... Categorizing it further seems like, as KendricksRedtail as already pointed out, setting a primer for possible extra consequences or reactions,... in short, just keep twisting the knife on the subject Spirou 10:23, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
- If we can edit the article to describe a situation neutrally and completely without the use of a "Controversy" section, does that mean we remove them from the "Controversial people" category? If so, that shows that we're categorizing people based on the state of the WikiFur article. Not fair to anyone and not a good precedent for WikiFur. --Rat 12:04, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
- Hmmm, okay, you're right, let's get rid of this category. --Lynn Onyx 16:03, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
- I agree with the deletion proposal. Spaz Kitty 16:20, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
- Since I did the work of putting people in the category last night, I've also done the work of removing them -- reverting all my edits. Nobody's in the category now and I blanked the category page. I think, though, that a discussion about the Controversy sections on various users pages would be a good idea. I've gone the other way on my thinking now, and believe that those should be eliminated whenever possible. --Lynn Onyx 16:26, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
- Thank you for getting that done, and for putting in the effort to create the category originally. Categories are quite often debatable, and they can be a right pain to change or delete, so I recommend bringing up a suggestion for one on a relevant talk page (such as a talk page for what would be a parent category for the proposed one) or on the forum.
- Could you elaborate on your objections to controversy sections? Is that specific to controversy sections within articles about people, or in other articles as well? -- Sine 17:46, 11 January 2007 (UTC)