I just finished cleaning up and expanding the dragon entry and have a thought: people might want to watch out for describing a general type of character/animal/creature, then allowing concepts from the backstory/fiction/design of their personal characters and creations slip in as sweeping statements. I've already seen a number of folks trying to do a good job of describing a character type but making this mistake frequently.
In other words, one wouldn't describe dragons as "usually having magic powers and telepathy", because they have a dragon character who's a wizard, or are a fan of Pern. It seems better to present those elements in a list of variations that exist on dragon characters. Especially when we're dealing with a number of fantastic and mythological creature ideas which to start with are exceedingly polymorphic and vary between one myth, legend, or story, and the next.
Aside from making more sense, it also could help avoid a certain sameness to characterizations. Y'know, someone makes a character with X unique property and next week everybody's anthro cheetah has the same feature :)
I've created Template:Characters
It's intended for placement on this category. Please do any tweaking needed, anyone; I'm not used to working with complex templates and I'm sure this one could be improved. -- Sine 05:32, 16 November 2006 (UTC)
What are others' thoughts on a category for characters which shapeshift. Category:Shapeshifting characters or Shapeshifter characters or...? It could contain Category:Were characters and well as some articles. -- Sine 00:05, 29 January 2009 (UTC)
- I'm leaning towards Category:Shapeshifter characters and will likely create it in future if there are no objections. -- Sine 16:29, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
- Created at Category:Shapeshifting characters. -- Sine 06:32, 9 April 2009 (UTC)
Characters by source
I think it would be worth while to have a Category:Characters by source to contain such categories as Category:Video game characters, Category:Stone Paws characters, essentially setting up a category following Template:Characters. Any objections or comments on this? -- Sine 14:02, 15 June 2011 (EDT)
- Support. I'm surprised there isn't one already. 40x40pxEquivamp 14:13, 15 June 2011 (EDT)
- I'm thinking of these category names:
- Characters by media source (for Story characters, Video game characters and so forth)
- Characters from virtual worlds
- Any thoughts on these? -- Sine 13:51, 12 July 2011 (EDT)