Brasil FurFest logo
|First iteration||9-11 September 2016|
|Charity||SOS Vida Pet Litoral - https://www.facebook.com/sosvidapetlitoral/|
|Resources||Photos, videos, reports: Brasil FurFest resources|
Brasil FurFest, or BFF, is the first hotel-based furry convention to happen in Brazil. It was first held over September 9-11, 2016, in the city of Santos, Brazil.. Third iteration will be held from August 17-19, 2018 at the same place. Brasil FurFest is a member of FLEF, group of Brazilian furry events.
Furboliche (São Paulo's Furry bowling event) founders had the idea of organizing a furry convention in Santos back in 2014. The proposed name was "Confursão" (abbreviation for Convenção Furry de São Paulo, Portuguese for São Paulo's Furry Convention). Due to lack of experience, they decided to postpone the convention and started Furboliche instead, to acquire know-how and to understand the dynamics of local furry fandom.
After Brazil's camping-based furry convention Abando announced 2016 would be its last year, the staff of Furboliche decided to review their plans. They announced they would start a hotel-based furry convention, to prevent Brazil from lacking any multi-day events. Proposed name "Confursão" was withdrawn and it was replaced by "Brasil FurFest" to avoid similarities with a famous furmeet called "Confuria".
The official announcement of Brasil FurFest was done on February 13th, 2016, at Furboliche 5 event. Before traditional fursuit raffle, the staff showed BFF's logo and announced the convention would start as a crowdfunding with a goal of R$ 6,000 (around US$ 1,500) for the basic costs of renting conference rooms and producing conbook, badges and other stuff. Further goals for crowdfunding campaign were later presented for adding more conference rooms or renting party bus in case of bigger donations. Videos and pictures of the location were presented in the several screens of the Bowling Place and all Furboliche staff members were using buttons with Brasil FurFest logo. Before the announcement, a Facebook page was made and teaser videos in Portuguese, Spanish and English were published.
First crowdfunding goal of Brasil FurFest was reached in barely 13 days. In an official announcement on the social networks, the staff of the convention confirmed the event for the proposed dates. At the end of crowdfunding campaign, all additional goals (that introduced more structure and activities to the con) were reached and R$ 15,390 (approx. US$ 3,850) were pledged.
In April 24th, 2016, BFF's staff announced the theme for the event: "Peludos em Santos" (Furries in Santos) - a joke with the name of a very famous Brazilian Rock song called "Pelados in Santos" (Naked in Santos). Guests of honor were announced in the same day.
Brasil Furfest 2016 - Furries in Santos
First interaction of Brasil FurFest happened as planned in Mercure Santos Hotel and gathered 169 furries (among them 54 fursuiters) from 5 countries (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Paraguay and USA).
Furries could be part of panels, workshops, dealer's den, artist's alley, fursuit parade (48 fursuits), fursuit games and a bus party.
During the Opening Ceremony, a video talking about dreams and persistence was presented and the countdown featured the name of furry cons around the world as an inspiration for Brasil FurFest. A videoclip with a parody of the song "Pelados em Santos" with fursuiters was also shown before "My First Convention" panel started telling attendes the details of the event.
Among the activities, a Magic The Gathering tournament was held and won by Casshan Wolf. At saturday night, a Dance Tournament for fursuiters and non-fursuiters was the main attraction in Porto room. Scamp from Argentina won Fursuiter category and Trent T. was the solo competitor in non-Fursuiter competition.
Brasil FurFest published a daily newspaper called "Diário da BFF" (Portuguese for "BFF Daily") with news from the previous day and trivial informations of the event.
During BFF, donations in total of R$ 435.45 (appox. US$ 140, at the date) were collected from participants to help non-governmental non-profit organization, MAPAN (Portuguese abbreviation for: Movement in Support of the Protectors of Animals and Nature), very known in the city of Santos for protecting, feeding and for reinsert abandoned animals in responsible families. BFF is the first Brazilian event to rely on charitable activity, something common in major international conventions.
At the Closing Ceremony, staff announced Brasil FurFest will happen again at the same place in August 2017.
Brasil FurFest 2017 - Furries in Space
The second edition of Brasil FurFest had its official announcement realized in April 2017 during Furboliche 6 event, when the official name of the theme was presented: Furries in Space; and as well as the guests of honor: the artist, fursuiter, fursuit-maker and youtuber, Igor Cebarros; and the professional illustrator, Felipe Marcantônio. At the time, the event had 123 registered attendees.
The event began on the evening of August 25th with the opening ceremony that showed a video about friendship, a teathrical piece of a space flight and staffs presented details of the event. After this a night party at the hotel featured a dance floor, lounge decorated based on the event's theme and a bar selling themed drinks.
The weekend was followed by a variety of activities including workshops, panels, furry market, artist's room, Fursuit Parade, fursuit games and a crowded game room with a Super Smash Bros. tournament. On Saturday night, the dance competition took place. It was won by Ambar, Vinny and Crash/Lars in the categories fursuiter, non-fursuiter and doubles, respectively. During the dance competition, the event chairman challenged the audience to donate R$ 500 to charity and if the goal was met, he would dance to the music of one of the winners. The goal was achieved and the improvised performance ended Saturday night.
On Sunday, the parade fursuit was held in the morning and counted 107 fursuiters. During the course, one of the fursuiters ended up falling and another overheated due to the temperature inside the fursuit. Both were rescued by the medical team of the event and moments later were already rehabilitated to join the activities. The staff announced at the closing ceremony that the parade fursuit will be held again Saturday afternoon to minimize temperature effects.
The closing ceremony marked the end of the event and took many furries to tears during special moments. A surprise auction was held for charity and multiplied several times the funds raised for the NGO SOS Vida Pet Baixada Santista, reaching a total of R$ 2,668.10. The staffs of several Brazilian furry events and also the ColombiaFur group team were invited to take a photo together, showing the union of the events in favor of fandom. The final numbers of the event were announced: 287 attendees from 9 countries (Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, USA, Germany and Finland) and the thank you message was made in Portuguese, Spanish, English and Finnish in honor of all those present. At the end it was announced that the third edition of Brasil FurFest will be held again at the Mercure Santos Hotel, between August 17th and 19th, 2018. The theme of the event was also announced: "Lights! Cameras! Furries!".
|Order||Year||Theme||Dates||Attendance||Fursuit Parade Count||Guests of Honor||Location||Charity Amount|
|1||2016||Furries in Santos||Sept 9-11||169||48||El Ranno and Latin Vixen||Mercure Santos Hotel - Santos, SP||R$ 435,45 for MAPAN|
|2||2017||Furries in Space||Aug 25-27||287||107||Igor Cebarros and Felipe Marcantonio||Mercure Santos Hotel - Santos, SP||R$ 2.668,10 for SOS Vida Pet Baixada Santista|
|3||2018||Lights! Cameras! Furries!||Aug 17-19||TBA||TBA||Crash Azarel and Fox Amoore||Mercure Santos Hotel - Santos, SP||TBA|
- A Fursuit Parade picture was featured in the cover of September 10th edition of A Tribuna, biggest newspaper in Santos region, and a full-page report about the event and the fandom was published. A Tribuna and TV Tribuna (local affiliate of Globo, biggest TV network in Brazil) also featured the convention and furries in their newsy portals.
- The local affiliate of Record TV network made a 3-minute report about the event and fursuiters in the noon newscast of September 12th.
- O Estado de S.Paulo, second biggest newspaper in Brazil, sent a reporter to cover the event and a podcast about furries was later published in their website.
- The Brazilian version of Vice published an extensive report about Furry Fandom and Brasil FurFest in September 22nd, 2016.
- Balanço Geral SP, a newscast of Record TV made an extensive report about the Furry Fandom in July 14th, 2017. After the report, the show host received in the studios some staffs of Brasil FurFest.
- Jornal da Tribuna Noon Edition, from TV Tribuna, affiliate to Globo, showed a report in August 28th, 2017, featuring Brasil FurFest among other geek events held in Santos region at that weekend.
The convention happens at Mercure Santos Hotel inside Clube XV-Office complex, in front of the Boqueirão Beach. All hotel rooms have sea views and the convention center can host up to 400 attendees. The hotel is near the main touristic district of the city, Gonzaga.
Brasil FurFest host several activities among them:
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Dealers' Den
- Artists' Alley
- Fursuit Parade
- Fursuit Games
- Dance Competition for both fursuiters and non-fursuiters
- Art-related, Literature and furry-related panels and workshops
- Video Game Room
- Night Party
The staff of Brasil FurFest is:
- Danny Lauderdale (Daniel) - Founder and Chairman
- Patsy Purrfect (Patricia Louise) - Founder and Head of Fundraising/Treasurer
- Ruby Sionnach (Aryane) - Founder, Executive Chief of Staff
- Niki Morena Flor (Nicole) - Head of Security
- Casshan Wolf (Carlos) - Law Consultant and Volunteers leader
- Nana Punky (Natally) - Founder, Fursuit Parade Leader
- Zeng Tiger (Ramon) - Fursuiters Aid
- Vitor Razzek (Vitor) - External Activities
- Nitro Endroz (Rafael) - Schedule/Activities Leader
- Toberal Shiguematsu (Alberto) - Photographer
- Jihatden (André) - Activities
- White (Flávio) - IT/Gaming Room
- BFF website. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- "Brazilian furry convention to be Abando-ned after 2016" on Flayrah. Retrieved February 7, 2016.
- Brasil FurFest official website
- Brasil FurFest on Facebook
- Brasil FurFest on Twitter
- Brasil FurFest on Youtube
- Brasil FurFest on Instagram