Bay Area Furry
|This article needs to be cleaned up to conform to WikiFur style and standards.|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
Bay Area Furry ("BAF") usually refers to one of the following:
- An email discussion list hosted on fur.com
- A furry residing in, or having an interest in, the San Francisco Bay Area
The region arguably has the world's greatest concentration of furries per square mile. One oft-cited reason is furdom's historic base in the online world, where Silicon Valley technologists had an unusually high level of access during furdom's growth in the 1990s.
Resources on this page were moved from Tom Howling's web site on 24 August 2005.
 Online discussion venues
- Bay Area Furry mailing list is the most active email discussion group.
- Bay Area Furry Facebook Group
- bafur LiveJournal community
- If you use IRC, check out the #baycafe channel on irc.anthrochat.net
- Bay Area Furry Meetup.com - organized by Teddy Tiger, lists up events people can go to. Sometimes not openly put on the mailing list.
- On tribe.net is the SF Bay Furries tribe. As of this writing (January 2004), the Fursuit tribe has a very high concentration of Bay Area folks as well.
- Keepiru's guide to Bay Area Living was "...written for people moving here for a job, not for people coming to go to school, and it's a couple years out of date, but it might be interesting nonetheless." (Last updated January 2001.)
- Mongolian BBQ "Mongolian Monday"
- When: around 6-9pm
- Where: Gobi Mongolian BBQ, 1135 Tasman Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
- Pizza Naughm
- When: around 7 p.m.
- Where: Me-N-Ed's Pizzeria, 3900 Decoto Road (Walgreens Plaza), Fremont, CA
]This was originally organized by Helvetica Bold.
- "Naughm" is intended as a more meaty, cheeks-full version of the word "nom," which is sometimes used to indicate ravenous eating (e.g. "Nom nom nom nom!").
- When: 6:30pm - 12:30am every week on Thursday
- Where: Wicked Chicken, 2565 The Alameda, Santa Clara, CA 95050
- Description: This location used to be called SmokeEaters, however they closed down and reopened in September after a few months for a remodel.
- This is the biggest public meet in the southern SF Bay Area which occurs weekly. The typical turnout is going to be around 30 people, typically more show up throughout the night. The crowd typically will disperse around 10PM but some will stay and socialize until around 12:30am. All ages are welcome to attend this event.
- When: 7:00pm - 10:00pm, every Thursday
- Where: Another Café, 1191 Pine Street, San Francisco, CA
- Description: Casual gathering for one-on-one and group help for writers, artists, and any combination of the two. A great solution for those who need the right atmosphere, motivation, or assistance to complete a personal or professional project.
- Black Bear Diner "Black Bear Sunday"
- When: 11:00am - 1:00pm.
- Where: Black Bear Diner - Milpitas, CA
- Description: Casual gathering for food and conversation at the Black Bear Diner in Milpitas, near the intersection of 237 and 880. The portions are bear size and the atmosphere is friendly.
- When: First Tuesday of the month, 7:30pm - 10:00pm
- Where: Au Coquelet Cafe, 2000 University Ave., Berkeley
- When: Second Saturday of the month, 9 p.m. - 2 a.m.
- Where: The Stud night club, 299 9th Street, San Francisco
- Expect to find: reasonably priced drinks, techno music, black lights, face painting, glow sticks, and friendly people in costume. This is a 21 and over event where once a month, furries take over a nightclub in San Francisco, and bring in our own DJ's, art, video, decor, and fill the place up with fursuiters. There is a smallish shared space for fursuiters to get suited in.
- When: Last Monday of the month
- Where: Wicked Grounds, 289 8th Street, San Francisco, CA
- Directions: They are located at 289 8th Street in San Francisco. To get there from BART/MUNI, get off at Civic Center Station and exit at the 8th Street exit (there are signs). Take a left onto 8th street and Wicked Grounds will be about 3 blocks down, on the left, right before Folsom Street.
- Expect to find: Coffee and sandwiches are served here.
- When: starting after 6 p.m. on the last Saturday night of the month; specific dates announced on the mailing list
- Where: Sagemane, Tenebris and Hunter Gryphon's apartment in the Excelsior District of San Francisco
- Directions: Available by RSVP only
- When: 3rd Saturday of every month usually around 8pm-9pm depending on league schedule. Hour and a half earlier for dinner. See BAF mailing list for specific times each month.
- Where: Cloverleaf Family Bowl at 40645 Fremont Blvd. Fremont, CA 94538
- When: First Wednesday of the month, typically announced in advance. 7:00pm, see BAF Meetup Page for specific date each month.
- Where: Old Chicago Pizza, 41 Petaluma Boulevard North, Petaluma CA 94952
- When: 7:00pm to about 11pm Usually on the first Sunday of each month unless otherwise noted on the BAF and Bay Area furs Meetup group.
- Where: Stars Recreation, 155 Browns Valley Parkway, Vacaville, CA - (707) 455-7827
- Expect to find: Brought back to life from the remnants of the Stars bowling event, This event continues to bring together furs from both the Sacramento and SF Bay Areas. Stars is a 24 hour entertainment facility with numerous bowling lanes, an arcade, and a restaurant so there's allot available to do. At a typical event we usually gather for an hour and then start bowling at around 8pm. Fursuiters are welcome and a semi private changing area is available in the locker alcove at the facility. Bowling prices currently are $4.50 per game, and $3 for shoe rental (not required for Fursuiters and those with bowling shoes). After everyone is finished bowling for the evening we then typically head over to the nearby Mels diner for a late night dinner.
 Currently Dead Gatherings
The following gatherings appear to be moribund. For details, ask on the BAF discussion list before going.
- Stars on Sunday
- When: 7:00pm-??? (Stars is open 24 hours a day, so stay however long you would like. Sometimes it's a couple of hours, sometimes it's more!)
- Where: Stars Recreation, 155 Browns Valley Parkway, Vacaville, CA - (707) 455-7827
- Directions: This bowling alley can be a little hard to find at night, so make sure you pull up exact directions from Google/Mapquest!
- The first Sunday of every month, Kannakin and Eden suit up and go to the Stars Recreational Center to bowl. It's a nice quiet 24 hour facility that has bowling, lazer tag, and a huge arcade; the whole nine yards. The reactions we get when we're there are wonderful, and the employees love us. Bowling is $4.00 a game per person, so it's definitely cheap fun! (I'm not sure the cost of shoes/bowling ball if you don't already have them) Make sure that if you're coming you bring enough money for yourself to bowl and play! Fursuiters and non-fursuiters welcome! If you have trouble finding us, look for the only ears and tail in the establishment!
- SF Furmeet at Sparky's
- When: Starting at 7 p.m. on the first Monday of every month (or, if the day happens to be a National Holiday, then typically the following Monday).
- Where: "Sparky's Diner" at 242 Church St. in San Francisco, CA 94114 (phone: 415-626-8666)
- Directions: Located on Church St. between 15th St. and Market St. It's a fairly easy walk down 16th Street from BART -- walk uphill, then turn right on Church Street and walk another few blocks. Nearby MUNI transit includes the 22, 35, F, J, K, L, M, and N lines. All let you off somewhere near Church and Market. Driving is possible, but expect some difficulty in finding parking nearby. Available food includes burgers, sandwiches, pasta, some vegetarian entrées, salads, ice cream, coffee drinks, sodas, shakes and $1.25 beer specials on Mondays! Typical price for a main dish is $6-12.
- Wednesday Taco Time! - DEAD
- What: Dead due to stagnation and cliquishness.
- Wednesday Coffee - DEAD
- What: The evolution of the Wednesday "Coffee" tradition, started in the mid-90s at Coffee Society in Cupertino, continuing (and converging with #GaySanJose) at Cafe Leviticus, then moving on to CyberCafes in Sunnyvale, and culminating in Exciting Random Location. May still be going on, but Reveille is no longer the one to contact about it.
- Revenge of Pizza, RAWR! - DEAD
- What: Dead due to disinterest.
- Bay Area Furries on Public Wave
- Bay Area Furry mailing list
- Meetup Group for Bay Area Furs, organized by Teddy Tiger
- Bay Area Furries group on Upcoming
- BAFUR Community on LiveJournal