Originally scheduled for June 21st to 24th, 2012, the convention received a request from the city of Pittsburgh to move their dates one week earlier so the city could realize a "very rare opportunity to host an event that they have been wanting to host for many years", in compensation for additional hotel rooms. After some speculation, it was announced in October that the NHL Entry Draft would be hosted in Pittsburgh, on Anthrocon's original dates.
- Theme: "A Midsummer Night’s Dream"
Dealers Den and art show
Uncle Kage commented
|The Dealer's Room did not double in size. Well, it did, but only geographically. We widened the aisles from 15 to 22 feet, but we only added approximately 15% more table space. The attendance itself grew by about 15%, so it was pretty much in line.
I personally have noticed a decline in sales-per-attendee at the Art Show over the past ten years. The revenue generated by Art Show sales is pretty close to what it was in 2007, although the convention itself has doubled in size.
Anthrocon, Inc. started the year with $91346.04 in assets, including $42607.24 in cash (and temporary cash investments). They ended the year with $124240.07 in assets, including $66243.35 in cash. Liabilities were zero, making their gain/loss for the year $32894.03 ($23636.11 in cash), and their net balance $124240.07.
Their total revenue was $472019.59, of which $278090 was from memberships, $49562.51 was from donations, $680 was from advertising and $6233.92 was from merchandise, after accounting for the cost of goods sold.
Source: Anthrocon, Inc. Form 990 (description from Foundation Center)
Note: These financials provide just a brief overview, and should be considered in context. Each convention has its own situation, which may change from year to year. Special events (like art shows) that are part of a charity's mission are usually run at a loss. Conventions typically have many other expenses which may come to far more than those listed. Check the source for further details.
- Anthrocon announces dates for 2012! - Uncle Kage (5 August 2011)
- Convention Date Related Questions - From Anthrocon's FAQ
- Anthrocon bumped for . . . 2012 NHL Entry Draft? - GreenReaper, Flayrah (6 August 2011)
- Pittsburgh to host next NHL Entry Draft, CBC Sports, 26 October 2011.
- Video: Anthrocon 2012 fursuit parade - Patch Packrat, Flayrah; video by jesssioui (20 June 2012)
- Anthrocon 2012 Charity Event Followup - Rigel (19 June 2012)
- Comment posted June 21 2012 to Ursula Vernon's LiveJournal. Retrieved June 21, 2012.
- Photos, videos, reports: Anthrocon 2012 resources
- Furries Arriving In Town For Annual Anthrocon Convention - CBS Pittsburgh/KDKA (June 14, 2012)
- Thousands of 'furries' return to Pittsburgh for annual Anthrocon convention - WPXI (June 14, 2012)
- Furries looking to 'shed' bad rap in Pittsburgh - Joe Mandak, Associated Press (June 15, 2012)
- Furries pony up to keep favorite eatery open for Pittsburgh convention - Kaitlynn Riely, The Pittsburgh Press (June 15, 2012)
- 'Furries' gather for Pittsburgh convention - photos by Keith Srakocic, Associated Press (June 15, 2012)
- Pittsburgh cafe gets a hand (or paw) from a loyal group of furry friends - Kaitlynn Riely, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (June 16, 2012)
- Anthrocon Furries Aid Fernando's Cafe In Pittsburgh - Huffington Post (June 17, 2012)
- When animals attract: Inside Anthrocon, the Furry utopia - Joseph L. Flatley, The Verge (June 25, 2012)
|This entry about a convention is a stub - can you it?|