A Story of the Stone Age
The story takes place in 50,000 BC during the Palaeolithic era, somewhere in England. The story follows Ugh-lomi, a primitive man who is hunted from the tribe, accompanied by a woman named Eudena. In hiding, Ugh-lomi fashions the first axe, and after several adventures through a countryside roaming with wild animals and other dangers, is able to take his place as leader of the tribe.
 Human characters
- Ugh-lomi - the protagonist, he is driven from the tribe into the wilderness, but fashions several weapons to return and take his place as leader of the tribe.
- Eudena - a woman of the tribe who follows Ugh-lomi into exile and nurses him when he is wounded.
- Uya the Cunning - the leader of the tribe who forces Ugh-lomi into exile. He is killed by Ugh-lomi shortly after.
- The Old Woman - a strange old woman in the tribe who elects herself leader after the death of Uya. She is a fanaticist, who bullies the tribe into worshipping Uya the Lion, but is later killed by a flock of vultures.
- Wau - the tribal flint knapper killed by Ugh-lomi.
- Irk - brother of Wau, killed by Uya the Lion.
- Irm - son of Irk and nephew of Wau, killed by Uya the Lion.
- Siss the Tracker - an unwilling servant of the Old Woman, killed by Ugh-lomi.
- Wau-hau - son of Wau, who takes his place as the tribal flint knapper.
Other tribal members include One-Eye, Bo, Cat's-Skin, Snake, The Snail-Eater, Haha, and Si.
 Animal characters
- Terror of the Woodshade - a grizzly bear who is feared by all, and chases away anyone who gets too close to his cave.
- Yaaa the Rhinoceros - a violent, sociopathic rhinoceros, Yaaa is a loner who often bursts into fits of rages for no apparent reason.
- Andoo - a bear who is fascinated by the humans when they first appear near his home. He is later killed in a landslide.
- The She-Bear - the unnamed mate of Andoo who does not share his interest in the humans.
- The Master Horse - one of a group of horses whom Ugh-lomi comes across. He is the leader of the horses, and believes the humans to be an irritating pest.
- Elder Mare - another horse. She describes the humans as "a sort of river monkey".
- Second Mare - another horse.
- Uya the Lion - a lion the tribe mistakes for a reincarnation of Uya, and worship under the guidance of the Old Woman. He is later killed by Ugh-lomi.