It was on this year that Anthrocon tied with ConFurence for longevity.
The number of furs attending Anthrocon this year caused problems, with some reports that attendees had booked out all the available hotel rooms in downtown Pittsburgh over that weekend. Anthrocon Chairman Uncle Kage stated that this might explain the slower growth this year, compared to 2009/10 - "When Downtown hotels became fully booked in mid-May, Anthrocon registration dropped off dramatically", he said. He went on to say that he doubted the event would grow further unless more rooms were made available near the center.
In the same article, it also stated that Anthrocon is worth an estimated $5 million a year to Pittsburgh.
Anthrocon, Inc. started the year with $109428.96 in assets, including $55365.96 in cash (and temporary cash investments). They ended the year with $91346.04 in assets, including $42607.24 in cash. Liabilities were zero, making their gain/loss for the year $-18082.92 ($-12758.72 in cash), and their net balance $91346.04.
Their total revenue was $392805.02, of which $219970 was from memberships, $32864.48 was from donations, $890 was from advertising and $4963.63 was from merchandise, after accounting for the cost of goods sold.
Source: Anthrocon, Inc. Form 990 (description from GuideStar)
Note: These financials provide just a brief overview, and should be considered in context. Each convention has its own situation, which may change from year to year. Special events (like art shows) that are part of a charity's mission are usually run at a loss. Conventions typically have many other expenses which may come to far more than those listed. Check the source for further details.
- Convention Date Related Questions - From Anthrocon's FAQ
- Anthrocon 2011 Guest Of Honor: Andy Runton! - Chiaroscuro, (17 October 2010)
- Anthrocon 2011 is pleased to welcome its honored guest - Giza on anthrocon.org (January 12, 2011). Retrieved July 7, 2011
- Anthrocon 2011 wrapup - Giza on anthrocon.org (July 2, 2011). Retrieved July 7, 2011
- Anthrocon 2011 Charity Auction/Raffle Information - Final Call! - Rigel, (27 May 2011)
- Anthrocon 2011 Charity Event Followup - Rigel, (28 June 2011)
- Return of the furries: Anthrocon in Pittsburgh for sixth year Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, June 24, 2011. Retrieved July 8, 2011
- "I blame the furries" DailyGazette.com, June 29, 2011. Retrieved July 8, 2011
- Photos, videos, reports: Anthrocon 2011 resources
|This entry about a convention is a stub - can you it?|