|This article needs to be cleaned up to conform to WikiFur style and standards.|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
|This article needs to be wikified (formatted according to the Furry Book of Style).|
For specifics, check the and talk page. Consult the Furry Book of Style for editing help.
|Genre||Mature image board, critic|
4chan is a 2chan style art community with English content, founded by former Something Awful goon moot. Visitors submit content in various categories, such as: /h/ for Hentai, /d/ for alternative hentai (subtypes of hentai such as Futanari), /y/ for Yaoi, /t/ for torrents, etc.
Prior to 2005, it also allowed lolicon and shota; however, these categories are now restricted to /b/ due to TOS violations. In response, not4chan.org opened their own loli/shota boards to fill in the niche. 4chan also incorporates other categories such as "Papercraft and Origami", "Videogames", "Animals and Nature", "Traditional Games", and "Mecha", as well as many others. One of the newest boards is /vp/, a spinoff from /v/ that is specifically for Pokemon.
4chan and furry
For the first year or so of its existence, the majority of people on 4chan looked down upon furries, even funny animal cartoons, as a nuisance that does not belong on an anime board.
The official 4chan rules states clearly that furry pornography is not allowed outside /b/, however there is no rule against regular anthro-content. Many anthropomorphic characters are posted everyday on various boards outside /b/. which is the case for /ic/, the artwork and critique board where many anthro artists seeking for constructive critiques post their new works. /co/, the Cartoon board, well known for the brony movement; /v/, the board devoted to video-game related discussion...more or less and /vp/, of course; a board devoted to Pokémon.
However, /b/, a random board where anything can be posted within U.S. law (which is almost always ignored), is centered around anonymity and is rebellious against any sort of rules imposed on it from outside. Furry Friday used to be, and often still is, a regular feature of /b/, as every Friday /b/tards and furries flood the board both with clean and pornography furry media, to the disgust of some other /b/ users (who invariably complain that it is the "wrong day" if furry art is posted on any other day). Images and "siterips" from furry pay-sites (such as SexyFur) are often reposted on Fridays. In early 2008, Fur Friday was officially replaced by F40PH Friday. This sparked a huge protest by the 4chan furry community which to this day has refused to recognized the change.
4chan never welcomes furries and furry art, even on /b/, the only place of this site furry material is allowed, and posting furry material here sometimes leads to a temporary ban, although this practice is becoming rare. Some members even received a permanent ban for posting furry artwork here.
This is entirely dependent upon the board in question however, as some of the other boards denizens have been know to be more fur friendly than others.
April Furs Day
On April 1, 2005, 4chan administrators pulled a stunt called April Furs Day, wherein a /fur/ board was created, and people were informed that from now on, furry images should go in there instead of /b/. Some users assumed it to be an April Fools' Day joke, and expected it to be gone the next day, while others complained about it in both /b/ and /fur/.
By April 2nd, it remained and people against it tried to flood it with non-furry images, such as EroGuro -- the moderators immediately banned those people. Finally, on April 3, the moderators removed the board, and banned every person who had posted in it -- including those who complained about it in the /fur/ board. The banning almost completely eliminated all furry postings for the next several months. This prank has not since been repeated.
4chan and Fchan
Months prior to the April Furs Day event, to balance the growing demand for furry art and to provide a place for furry artwork to be posted without risk of removal or banning from an admin (as 4chan's owner proclaimed it was an anime website and would never add any furry or cartoon board), a user named Dr. Pon found hosting for and founded Fchan, one of the first and most popular furry image-boards.
The addition of /vp/ in April 2010 contradicts this statement, as some see the Pokemon-themed board as a place to post anthro Pokemon.
4chan and WikiFur
On several occasions since 4chan began, some members of the /b/ community have organized raids against WikiFur utilizing the message board as a communications medium. Typical punishment consisted of a forum ban that could last for two weeks or longer, or be permanent, depending on the offense.
Such vandalism is similar to pranks on Wikipedia and other wikis.
4Chan's 100,000,000th post
On November 30th, 2008, at 15:54:26, the 100 millionth post on /b/ was a post that featured a furry image by artist Strype (image). This iconic action on this day would shortly thereafter be labeled as the day of "Epic Fail". The post/thread was immediately deleted, but not before users were able to save/download copies of it. 
Other furry GET/milestone 4chan posts include:
- Post #6,500,000 (April 7, 2006) featured an image of a sleeping furry or anthropomorphic Pokemon (image).
- Post #9,100,000 (June 16, 2006) featured an image of a naked catgirl (image).
- Post #17,000,000 (December 08, 2006) featured a image of a Macro Sheila Vixen by furry artist Eric W. Schwartz (image).
- Post #200,000,000 (February 21, 2010) featured an image of Ninetales, a Pokemon.
The 200,000,000th post was significant as it was stickied, gathered over 4,000 posts, and brought about another large backlash, causing moot to truncate post numbers on /b/ so the last 3 digits in a post cannot be seen simply by glancing at the post.
4chan and the 2006 /b/ exodus (/b/-day)
On 2006-08-23, the 4chan moderators started to strictly enforce its previously neglected rules on posting illegal content, private forum/wiki raids (such as the ones on Wikifur) and posting personal information. This caused a great deal of unrest within the /b/ community, with many expressing their discontent. Ultimately, most users stayed, accepting the new rules, while some left to find other image boards on which they could post such content without punishment.
A new home was found at the 7chan image-board, and a new /b/ community was recreated there with less restrictive rules, and a dedicated board for the posting of calls to invasion, /i/. Thus, any clash, raid or interaction between /b/ users and furry most likely originates from this new board, instead of 4chan's (still operational) /b/ community and/or users.
/b/ terminology (partial)
Both 4chan and 7chan /b/ communities share some of the following terms. These examples are some of the most relevant when involving furry, with some appearing during /b/ invasions (raids.) Many other examples can be perused at WikiChan.
- /b/tard: Both a derisive ("retard") and a self-identifying term for /b/ users.
- Anonymous Does Not Forgive: The battle cry of many /b/ raiders. The anonymous users of /b/ commit to a course of action and retaliate against perceived insults and attacks.
- F40PH Friday: Every Friday, /b/ users mass post images of F40PHs.
- Caturday: Every Saturday, /b/ users mass post images of cats and kittens to /b/.
- GTFO FURFAG ("Get The Fuck Out[,] Furfag"): A memetic net slang term used on anybody posting furry art on 4chan, especially /b/.
- DESU: A catch phrase used by Suiseiseki in Rozen Maiden. It is a Japanese sentence closure and literally means "it is". /b/ has taken and exaggerated this catch phrase: it is often spammed to make up meaningless replies, a rotated version nsәp and ASCII version are also used. "Desu" may also refer to the character Suiseiseki. Furry Desu, or Furseiseki is a furry fan creation, where she's drawn as an anthropomorphic fox counterpart to Suiseiseki.
- Harbl: Slang for testicles or male genitalia.
- Pool's Closed: Notification that a pool (as on Habbo Hotel) or other public area is blocked by raiders and inaccessible. The "pool" is usually closed due to AIDS.
- Nigra: The image or avatar of a cleanly suited black man with an afro hairstyle that many raiders adopt. Also known as /b/rothas.
- /r/: Request (i.e. "/r/ backup, /r/ the following image")
- CP: Child Pornography.
- JB: "Jailbait" (underage [ "tween" ] porn.)
- s/fur/ or bread: A thread in /b/ focused on dumping and discussing straight furry porn.
- /g/fur or GFur: A thread in /b/ focused on dumping and discussing gay furry porn.
- 4chan's FAQ page
- 4chan's Rules page
- "April Furs Day" at Encyclopedia Dramatica
- April Furs Day at Trendpedia
- April Furs Day at CYD
- 100,000,000 GET Flash Day! forum post on Newgroupnds
- Epic Fail Guy meme on KnowYourMeme
- Saved image on PDF format of 4Chan's (furry) 100,000,000th post
- Deleted 100m post at 4chanarchive
- /b/ 200m post at 4chanarchive